Thursday, May 29, 2014
– The Jayhawks emerged as one of the leading purveyors of the alt.-country scene will see three of their albums be released in an expanded form on July 1.
The releases include 1997's "Sound of Lies," 2000's "Smile" and 2003's "Raiy Day Music." This completes the band's remastering of its entire back catalog. All three American Recordings/UME releases contain bonus tracks, new liner notes and expanded booklets.
The Jayhawks also will tour this summer and fall.
The three releases will also be released Aug. 5 as deluxe, two-LP vinyl editions. The deluxe vinyl reissues will be remastered on 180 gram heavyweight vinyl and also include the bonus tracks.
The Jayhawks formed in 1985 when Gary Louris was in the crowd at the first show future songwriting partner Mark Olson did with bassist Marc Perlman and Norm Rogers (the first in a string of drummers until Tim O'Reagan joined in 1995). A self-titled album was released on a local indie label and Minneapolis' Twin/Tone released some of the band's demos as "Blue Earth" in 1989. Producer George Drakoulias (Black Crowes) signed the band to Rick Rubin's Def American records and produced "Hollywood Town Hall" (1992) and "Tomorrow The Green Grass" (1995).
Olson, the folksier member of the songwriting team, abruptly left the band in 1995. The band regrouped and kept the name, but Olson's departure and a divorce colored Louris' dark lyrics of the subsequent Jayhawks album, "Sound of Lies." With pianist Karen Grotberg as a permanent addition and harmony partner, Louris took advantage of his newfound freedom to experiment with '60s pop and a more electric sound, even getting a little crunchy around the edges on "Think About It."
For "Smile," produced by Bob Ezrin (Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, KISS, Alice Cooper). Jen Gunderman stepped in when Grotberg left to raise a family. Louris' ventures into contemporary pop featured looping and overdubs, turning trip-hop on "Queen of the World," "Somewhere in Ohio" and "(In My) Wildest Dreams." The music failed to strike a chord with fans.
After an acoustic tour that Louris, Perlman, O'Reagan and guitarist Stephen McCarthy recorded 2003's "Rainy Day Music," a seeming return to form.
The basic lineup from the band's 1997 shows - Louris, Perlman, O'Reagan, Grotberg and Kraig Johnson - will tour in support of the reissues. Much of July and part of August will be spent on a mix of headlining and festival dates in Europe, followed by a fall tour of the U.S. and Canada.
"Sound of Lies" track list:
1 The Man Who Loved Life 5:00
2 Think About It 5:37
3 Trouble 4:50
4 It's Up To You 3:38
5 Stick In The Mud 3:34
6 Big Star 4:25
7 Poor Little Fish 3:56
8 Sixteen Down 5:23
9 Haywire 5:21
10 Dying On The Vine 5:52
11 Bottomless Cup 4:14
12 Sound Of Lies 3:56
13. I Hear You Cry 3:48*
14. Sleepyhead 3:29*
15. Kirby's Tune (studio outtake) 5:34**
16. It's Up To You (alternate version) 3:46**
17. Sound of Lies (rough mix) 4:34**
* previously commercially unavailable in the U.S.
** previously unreleased
"Smile" track list:
1. Smile 3:50
2. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me 3:40
3. What Led Me To This Town 4:10
4. Somewhere In Ohio 3:39
5. A Break In The Clouds 4:00
6. Queen Of The World 2:35
7. Life Floats By 4:43
8. Broken Harpoon 3:31
9. Pretty Thing 4:19
10. Mr. Wilson 4:27
11. (In My) Wildest Dreams 4:31
12. Better Days 4:36
13. Baby, Baby, Baby 5:24
14. Who Made You King (studio outtake) 5:43*
15. Gypsy In The Mood (studio outtake) 1:18
16. A Part Of You (demo) 3:12**
17. Life's Little Ups And Downs (live) 4:55**
18. Greta Garbo (demo) *3:49*
19. Five Cornered Blues (demo) 4:01**
* previously commercially unavailable
** previously unreleased
"Rainy Day Music" track list:
1 Stumbling Through The Dark 2:21
2 Tailspin 3:13
3 All The Right Reasons 3:21
4 Save It For A Rainy Day 3:03
5 Eyes Of Sarahjane 3:44
6 One Man's Problem 4:02
7 Don't Let The World Get In Your Way 4:16
8 Come To The River 4:25
9 Angelyne 3:40
10 Madman 4:00
11 You Look So Young 3:58
12 Tampa To Tulsa 3:57
13 Will I See You In Heaven 3:37
14 Stumbling Through The Dark (Reprise) 2:09
15. Tailspin ("Inbred" version) (demo) 4:12*
16. Waiting For Salvation (demo) 4:02*
17. The Book You Wrote (demo) 3:10*
18. False Eyelashes (Blue-Eyed Soul) (demo) 3:00*
19. Won't Last Long (demo) 3:17*
20. In the Canyon (live) 3:57*
* previously unreleased
Tour dates are:
June 20 Americana Music Festival Des Moines, IA
Aug. 2 HazelFest Center City, MN
Aug. 16 River Roots Festival Davenport, IA
More dates will be announced.