Wednesday, August 22, 2018
– Loretta Lynn is releasing her long-delayed disc, "Wouldn't It Be Great" on Sept. 28 on Sony Legacy Recordings.
Comprised entirely of songs written (or co-written) by Lynn, the album premieres new compositions alongside reinterpretations of her classics. The disc was mainly recorded at the Cash Cabin Studio in Hendersonville, Tenn. with producers Patsy Lynn Russell and John Carter Cash.
The disc was supposed to come out in 2017, but was delayed because Lynn was ill.
"Wouldn't It Be Great" debuts new songs - "Ruby's Stool," "Ain't No Time To Go," "I'm Dying For Someone To Live For" - alongside newly recorded renditions of recent compositions ("God Makes No Mistakes," from Lynn's 2004 Grammy-winning Jack White-produced "Van Lear Rose") and immortal classics like "Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Don't Come Home A' Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)," her first of 16 career number 1 country singles.
"This new record means so much to me, but this last year I had to focus on my health and I decided to hold up the release," said Lynn. "I'm feelin' good and look forward to it comin' out. It was really important to me to be a part of it being released, and I'm excited to celebrate with everybody."
The title track was released today.
"Wouldn't It Be Great?" is the last song Loretta wrote for her late husband, Oliver "Doolittle" Lynn.
"Well," Lynn said, "my husband liked to drink a lot, and that's where that song comes from... 'Say you love me just one time, with a sober mind'... I always liked that song, but I never liked to sing it around Doo."
"That song just always meant so much to me," said their daughter (and album co-producer) Patsy Lynn Russell, "because of the lyrics, you know, 'when my fancy lace couldn't turn your face,' it was just so powerful and was a song that needed to be recorded for this album with Loretta. It shows just how masterful my mom is with writing down her feelings."
The track list is:
1. Wouldn't It Be Great? (written by Loretta Lynn)
2. Ruby's Stool (written by Loretta Lynn, Shawn Camp)
3. I'm Dying for Someone to Live For (written by Loretta Lynn, Shawn Camp)
4. Another Bridge to Burn (written by Loretta Lynn, Lola Jean Dillon)
5. Ain't No Time to Go (written by Loretta Lynn, Patsy Lynn Russell)
6. God Makes No Mistakes (written by Loretta Lynn)
7. These Ole Blues (written by Loretta Lynn, Patsy Lynn Russell)
8. My Angel Mother (written by Loretta Lynn)
9. Don't Come Home a Drinkin' (written by Loretta Lynn, Peggy Sue Wells)
10. The Big Man (written by Loretta Lynn, Shawn Camp)
11. Lulie Vars (Traditional, arrangement by Loretta Lynn)
12. Darkest Day (written by Loretta Lynn)
13. Coal Miner's Daughter (written by Loretta Lynn)
Lynn's most recent release was the Grammy-nominated "Full Circle"in 2016.