It's a family affair for Strings
The release features 14 bluegrass and country classics that the two have been playing together since Strings was a young child. Strings made the announcement on his 30th birthday.
Their take on the bluegrass traditional "Long Journey Home" and George Jones' "Life To Go" are debuting today. A video for "Long Journey Home," directed by Roger Pistole and Scott Mele, is out as well.
Strings said, "As long as I can remember, I wanted to make a record with my dad. I've been burning up and down the highways the last 12 years, and as time slips away, you start thinking, 'I need to make time.' It's been a bucket list thing for me, something I've been afraid I wouldn't find the time to do. And that scared me; not doing this record scared me."
Produced by Strings and Gary Paczosa and recorded at Nashville's Sound Emporium Studio, the record finds Strings and Barber trade off leads both vocally and on guitar. The album features bassist Mike Bub, mandolinist Ron McCoury, banjo player Rob McCoury and fiddler Michael Cleveland as well as special guest appearances by Jerry Douglas, Jason Carter and Strings' mother, Debra Barber, who sings on the final track, "I Heard My Mother Weeping."
The new record follows Strings' widely acclaimed album, "Renewal." Raised in Michigan and now based in Nashville, Strings is known for his acoustic guitar playing. Since his 2017 debut, he has been awarded Best Bluegrass Album at the 63rd GRAMMY Awards, Artist of the Year at the 2022 Americana Music Awards and Entertainer of the Year and Song of the Year at the 2022 International Bluegrass Music Association Awards
The track list is:
1. Long Journey Home (bluegrass traditional)
2. Life To Go (written by George Jones)
3. Way Downtown (written by Doc Watson)
4. Little Blossom (written by Hank Thompson)
5. Peartree (written by Arthel Lane "Doc" Watson, Gaither Carlton)
6. Stone Walls and Steel Bars (written by Ray Pennington, Roy Eugene Marcum)
7. Little White Church (written by Eugene Wellman)
8. Dig A Little Deeper (In The Well) (written by Jody Emerson, Roger Bowling)
9. Wandering Boy (written by A.P. Carter)
John Deere Tractor (written by Lawrence Hammond)
11. Frosty Morn (bluegrass traditional)
12. I Haven't Seen Mary In Years (written by Damon Black)
13. Little Cabin Home On The Hill (written by Lester Flatt, Bill Monroe)
14. Heard My Mother Weeping (written by Carl Story, Lowell Blanchard)
More news for Billy Strings
- 04/28/23: Strings gets "California Sober" with Willie
- 04/25/23: Road warrior Strings continues
- 12/06/22: Strings lines up 22 new shows
- 11/18/22: Bentley goes out on a "High Note" with Strings
- 11/18/22: Strings, Smith, McCreery, Nelson deliver new releases
- 11/01/22: Strings sets winter dates
- 10/11/22: Strings announces '23 tour dates
- 09/29/22: IBMA Entertainer of the Year goes to Strings
CD reviews for Billy Strings
©Country Standard Time • Jeffrey B. Remz, editor & publisher • email@example.com
About • Copyright • Newsletter • Our sister publication Standard Time