Tuesday, March 4, 2008
– Kenny Chesney continued his superstar status intact by capturing 11 nominations Tuesday for Academy of Country Music awards, including entertainer of the year and top male vocalist. In addition, Chesney was nominated as an artist and producer for Album of the Year for "Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates," Single Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Video of the Year for "Don't Blink." If Chesney wins Entertainer of the Year, it will be his fourth consecutive win.
The great run of Rodney Atkins continued because he was nominated for six ACM awards, including song and male artist of the year.
Brad Paisley, who announced the awards, received four nominations, as did Big & Rich and Sugarland. Taylor Swift and Miranda Lambert received three apiece.
Atkins, who performed at the Wildhorse Saloon just after the announcement on television, said he was "still in shock. I never dreamed that this could happen."
"I think my heart's going out of my throat," said Atkins, adding, "I'm very thrilled."
Nominated for entertainer of the year was Chesney, Rascal Flatts, George Strait, Keith Urban and Paisley.
Single of the year nominations were (award goes to artist, producer, record company):
- "Don't Blink" - Chesney, produced by Buddy Cannon and Chesney (BNA)
- "Lost in This Moment" - Big & Rich, produced by Big & Rich (Warner/WRN)
- "Stay" - Sugarland, produced by Kristian Bush, Byron Gallimore, Jennifer Nettles (Mercury)
- "Watching Airplanes" - Gary Allan,produced by Gary Allan , Mark Wright (MCA Nashville)
- "Famous in a Small Town" - Lambert, produced by Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke (Columbia)
Song of the year (award goes to artist, composer, publisher)
- "Don't Blink" - Chesney
Writers: Casey Beathard, Chris Wallin, Publishers: Lavender Zoo Music (BMI), Mama's Dream Music (ASCAP), Sony/ATV Acuff Rose (BMI), WB Music Corp. (ASCAP)
- "Lost in This Moment" - Big & Rich
Writers: Keith Anderson, Rodney Clawson, John Rich, Publishers: EMI April Music, Inc. (ASCAP), Romeo Cowboy Music (ASCAP), WB Music Corp. (ASCAP), Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Corp. (BMI), Writer's Extreme Music (BMI)
- "Moments - Emerson Drive
Writers: Dave Berg, Annie Tate, Sam Tate, Publishers: Gravitron (SESAC), WB Music Corp. (ASCAP)
- "Stay" - Sugarland
Writer: Jennifer Nettles, Publishers: Jennifer Nettles Publishing (ASCAP)
- "Watching You - Atkins
Writers: Atkins, Steve Dean, Brian White, Publishers: Bethar Music (BMI), Mike Curb Music (BMI), Multisongs (SESAC), Songs
From The White House (SESAC)
Top vocal group
Little Big Town
Top vocal duo
Big & Rich
Brooks & Dunn
Halfway to Hazard
Top new male vocalist
Top new female vocalist
Top new duo or vocal group
Album of the Year (award goes to artist, producer, label)
- "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" - Lambert, produced by Frank Liddell, Mike Wrucke (Columbia)
- "Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates" - Chesney, produced by Buddy Cannon and Chesney (BNA)
- "If You're Going Through Hell" - Adkins, produced by Ted Hewitt and Atkins (Curb)
- "Taylor Swift" - Swift, produced by Scott Borchetta and Nathan Chapman (Big Machine)
- "5th Gear" - Paisley, produced by Frank Rogers (Arista Nashville)
Vocal event (award goes to artist, producer, label)
- "Because of You" - Reba McEntire with Kelly Clarkson, Produced by Tony Brown, McEntire, MCA Nashville
- "Find Out Who Your Friends Are" - Tracy Lawrence with Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney, Produced by Julian King, Lawrence (Rocky Comfort/CO5)
- "Shiftwork" - Chesney with George Strait, Produced by Cannon, Chesney (BNA)
- "Till We Ain't Strangers Anymore" - Bon Jovi with Rimes, Produced by Dann Hff (Mercury)
- "What You Give Away" - Vince Gill with Sheryl Crow, Produced by Gill, John Hobbs, Justin Niebank, (MCA Nashville)
Video of the year (Award to Producers/Directors/Artists)
- "Don't Blink" - Chesney, Producer: Tacklebox Films, Director: Shaun Silva
- "Lost In This Moment" - Big & Rich, Producer: Big Kenny, Steve Lamar, Marc Oswald, Director: Robert Deaton and George Flanigen
- "Online" - Paisley, Producer: Frames Per Second, Director: Jason Alexander
- "Stay" - Sugarland, Producer: Kristian Bush, Byron Gallimore, Jennifer Nettles, Director: Shaun Silva
- "Watching You" - Atkins, Producer: Broken Poet Productions, Director: Eric Welch
"I'm totally shocked," said Lambert. "I was jumping up and down basically."
For the first time in Academy of Country Music history, fans will choose the winner of the ACM's highest honor, Entertainer of the Year. Fan voting begins May 5 with voting details forthcoming.
The awards will be handed out May 18 in Las Vegas.
The announcements were made at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville. Participating in the press conference were multi-platinum recording artists Paisley and Underwood, who read nominations live during a CBS' The Early Show broadcast. Atkins and Lambert performed live.