Friday, January 30, 2009
– John Doe and The Sadies are joining forces for "Country Club," an album of classic country covers and originals due out April 14,on Yep Roc Records.
Both Doe, who is also a mainstay of X, and The Sadies, a Toronto-based, rootsy, country band, are already on the label.
"Country Club is the result of a drunken promise or threat I made to Travis and Dallas (Good, of The Sadies) the first night we played together in Toronto," said Doe. "These happen all the time, but it's rare that anyone remembers them the morning after, let alone follows through and makes it a reality. I'm really glad we did."
"We're not sure why it sounds like it's from the sixties," Doe said. "Maybe that's our favorite era of country music, or maybe that's what we listened to when we first learned how to play it. But what was called 'Countrypolitan' always seemed one of the coolest hybrids of country music. But we agreed quickly and completely that there were going to be no string sections, horns or choirs. Bakersfield versus Nashville was never a dispute . . . Bakersfield!"
"The songs chosen were very ambitious, and while we haven't re-invented the wheel we have created a cohesiveness between several hit country and western singles and our own styles," Good said.
Songs include Husbands and Wives, made famous by Roger Miller and I Still Miss Someone from Johnny Cash.
Songs and credits are:
1) Stop the World and Let Me Off - Songwriter: Carl Belew, Made famous by: Waylon Jennings, Veronica Jane Doe - vocals
2) Husbands and Wives - Songwriter: Roger Miller, D.J. Bonebrake - vibraphones, Margaret Good - vocals, Eric Heywood - pedal steel
3) 'Til I Get It Right - Songwriters: Red Lane, Larry Henley, Made famous by: Tammy Wynette, D.J. Bonebrake - vibraphones, Eric Heywood - pedal steel
4) It Just Dawned on Me - Songwriters: Exene Cervenka, John Do, Kathleen Edwards - vocals
5) (Now and Then) There's a Fool Such As I - Songwriter: William Marvin Trader, Made famous by: Hank Snow, Eric Heywood - pedal steel, Cindy Wasserman - vocals
6) The Night Life
Songwriters: Paul F. Buskirk, Walter M. Breeland, Willie Nelson
Made famous by: Ray Price, D.J. Bonebrake - vibraphones, Eric Heywood - pedal steel
7) The Sudbury Nickel - Songwriters: The Sadies
8) Before I Wake - Songwriters: The Sadies, Bob Egan - pedal steel, Margaret Good - vocals, Bruce Good - autoharp
9) I Still Miss Someone - Songwriters: Johnny Cash, Roy Cash Jr., Bruce Good - autoharp
10) The Cold Hard Facts of Life - Songwriter: Bill Anderson, Made famous by: Porter Wagoner, Eric Heywood - pedal steel
11) Take These Chains from My Heart - Songwriter: Fred Rose, Hy Heath, Made famous by: Hank Williams, D.J. Bonebrake - vibraphones, Margaret Good - vocals, Eric Heywood - pedal steel, Cindy Wasserman - vocals
12) Help Me Make It Through the Night -
Songwriter: Kris Kristofferson
13) Are the Good Times Really Over for Good - Songwriter: Merle Haggard, Kathleen Edwards - vocals
14) Detroit City - Songwriters: Danny Dill, Mel Tillis, Made famous by: Bobby Bare
15) Pink Mountain Rag - Songwriters: The Sadies, Bob Egan - pedal steel