Accidental overdose kills Bennett
HomeNewsInterviewsCD ReleasesCD ReviewsConcertsArtistsArchive

Accidental overdose kills Bennett

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 – Former Wilco member Jay Bennett died of an accidental painkiller overdose, the Illinois coroner's office ruled.

Bennett, 45, died May 24 from fentanyl, a drug usually prescribed to treat chronic pain. The death was considered an accident. Bennett said he suffered from hip pain.

Bennett was a member of Wilco from the mid-1990s until "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" from 2002. He had a major falling out with lead singer Jeff Tweedy, leading to Bennett being fired from the band and recent law suits.

More news for Jay Bennett

CD reviews for Jay Bennett

After his departure from Wilco, multi-instrumentalist Jay Bennett teamed up with like-minded roots pop aficionado Edward Burch for "The Palace at 4am," an exquisite basement collaboration that rivaled anything Bennett accomplished with Wilco (particularly "Summerteeth") and stood easily with similarly toned works by Beulah or Joe Pernice. Bennett's subsequent releases, this past spring's "Bigger Than Blue" and the just released "The Beloved Enemy," are much starker sonic and emotional statements. ...

©Country Standard Time • Jeffrey B. Remz, editor & publisher •
AboutCopyrightNewsletterOur sister publication Standard Time
Subscribe to Country Music News Country News   Subscribe to Country Music CD Reviews CD Reviews   Follow us on Twitter  Instagram  Facebook  YouTube