Tuesday, July 28, 2015
– Mac McAnally will go the solo route, releasing "A.K.A. Nobody" on Jimmy Buffett's Mailboard Records on Sept. 14.
McAnally, who is in Buffett's Coral Reefer Band, helped write all but one of the songs. Co-writers included Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown, Sonny Landreth, Chris Stapleton and Al Anderson.
McAnally mixed up musically with swampy blues on "Place Where You Belong," some exotic Parisian-style swing on "Zanzibar," Cajun on "Loser Gumbo" with McAnally rocking the piano with Landreth on slide guitar, straight-ahead, country with Southern rock on "Coast of Carolina."
The disc includes "With a Straight Face," a portrayal of two gay children raised by parents who can't understand their kids are "something God made."
"I have a heart for the underdog and for the oppressed and persecuted," McAnally said, addressing "With a Straight Face." "And I have close friends who have suffered for no good reason I can see. This song is for all the above."
Born in Alabama, raised on church choirs and formal lessons, playing pro gigs at 13, tutored at Muscle Shoals Studios and relocated to Nashville, he played on recordings by Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, George Strait, Lee Ann Womack, Randy Travis, George Jones and Billy Joel. He has written songs for Kenny Chesney ("Down the Road") and Alabama ("Old Flame") as well as penning chart-toppers for Sawyer Brown ("All These Years") and Shenandoah ("Two Dozen Roses").
"This selection of music made me stay up late and get up early, filled up my fairly big heart and historically large head for the last several years in between also working on musical projects with other artists, which I also love to do," McAnally said. "Because of the long process in recording this album, I had the chance to give some long attention to the songs that demanded it, and the ones I thought would benefit from a spontaneous joy fest in the studio with a great band were saved for last. I'm very proud of both the work and that my fans continue to follow my little career. Small though it may be it's one of the biggest blessings ever. I'm grateful... and to borrow one of the song titles 'Proud To Be Alive.'"
1. A Little Bit Better (Chris Stapleton and Mac McAnally)
2. Last But Not Least (Zac Brown Wyatt Durrette, Jimmy De Martini, Coy Bowles and Mac McAnally)
3. Mississippi, You're On My Mind (Jesse Winchester)
4. With A Straight Face (Mac McAnally)
5. Don't Remember Leaving (Mac McAnally)
6. Zanzibar (Mac McAnally)
7. Place Where You Belong (Al Anderson and Mac McAnally)
8. Proud To Be Alive (Mac McAnally)
9. Better Get Your Story Straight (Mac McAnally)
10. Everything (Ain't Too High a Price) (Mac McAnally)
11. Loser Gumbo (Sonny Landreth and Mac McAnally)
12. Coast of Carolina (Jimmy Buffett and Mac McAnally)
13. Someday (Mac McAnally)
14. Island Rain (Kenny Chesney and Mac McAnally)
15. Working Prayer (Mac McAnally)