Wednesday, March 7, 2018
– David Lee Murphy has Kenny Chesney for his new album, his first in 14 years.
Blue Chair/Reviver Records will release Murphy's "No Zip Code" on April 6. Murphy co-wrote all 11 tracks including the Top-20 radio hit, "Everything's Gonna Be Alright," a duet with Chesney.
Murphy, who had hits with his songs "Dust on the Bottle and "Party Crowd," has penned songs for others - Chesney ("'Til It's Gone," "Living in Fast Forward," "Live a Little"), Jason Aldean ("Big Green Tractor," "The Only Way I Know How"), Thompson Square ("Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not"), Jake Owen ("Anywhere With You") and Blake Shelton ("The More I Drink").
"I've been friends and written songs with Kenny for years," said Murphy. "I sent him some songs for one of his albums a couple of years ago, and he called me up. He goes, 'Man, you need to be making a record. I could produce it with Buddy Cannon, and I think people would love it.' It's hard to say no to Kenny Chesney when he comes up with an idea like that."
"Kenny was really influential in the songs that we picked," said Murphy. "Over the course of the next year or so, we got together, talked about it and picked out songs. We wanted to make the kind of album that you would listen to if you were camping or out on a lake fishing, or anywhere just having a good time."
"I'm really excited about putting out these new songs, and I'm looking forward to taking them out on the road and playing them live. We've had a heck of a good time making this record, and I think you can hear that."
The track listing is:
1. "Way Gone" (David Lee Murphy and Marv Green)
2. "No Zip Code" (David Lee Murphy, Shane Minor and Jesse Murphy)
3. "Everything's Gonna Be Alright (with Kenny Chesney)" (David Lee Murphy, Chris Stevens and Jimmy Yeary)
4. "I Won't Be Sorry" (David Lee Murphy, Paul Jenkins and Jason Sellers)
5. "Haywire" (David Lee Murphy and Jimmy Yeary)
6. "As the Crow Flies" (David Lee Murphy, Dean Dillon, Jamey Johnson and Phil O'Donnell)
7. "Winnebago" (David Lee Murphy)
8. "Get Go" (David Lee Murphy, Brett Beavers and Jim Beavers)
9. "That's Alright" (David Lee Murphy, Shane Minor and Jesse Murphy)
10."Voice of Reason" (David Lee Murphy)
11."Waylon And Willie" (David Lee Murphy and Billy Burnette)
Murphy, 59, released his first disc, "Out With a Bang," in 1983. His last release was "Tryin' to Get There," in 2004