Thursday, September 15, 2022
– "Willie Nelson Live At Budokan" will be out in the first official album release of Nelson's performance of the concert on Nov. 18 on Sony Legacy.
The 27-song disc will be available in digital and 2CD/1DVD configurations
While "Willie Nelson Live At Budokan" has been previously officially available as a LaserDisc in Japan (which is now long-out-of-print, this concert performance of Willie and his backing Family band will enjoy its first official widespread release this fall. A broadcast edition of the show is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations beginning Saturday, Nov. 26.
Produced by Nelson's longtime harmonica player Mickey Raphael (whose production credits include "Naked Willie" and "The Highwaymen" box set) and mixed by Tony Castle, the recording was sonically upgraded in what was Nelson's first Japanese show.
Playing with him on Feb. 23, 1984 was his sister Bobbie Nelson on piano, Paul English on drums, Grady Martin on guitar, Jody Payne on vocals and guitar, Bee Spears on bass and Raphael on harmonica.
In his notes for this release, Willie says, "I believe that music, not only country music, but I believe that music is a great communicator. I think that it crosses all boundaries and I think that the people, regardless of whether they understand what I'm saying or not, they would feel what I'm saying and they will hear it in whatever language they are listening. I think that is the great thing about music."
The track list is:
1. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
2. Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston/Raymond Evans)
3. Good Hearted Woman (Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson)
4. Down Yonder (L. Wolfe Gilbert)
5. If You've Got The Money I've Got The Time (Lefty Frizzell/Jim Beck)
6. Workin' Man Blues (Merle Haggard)
7. Help Me Make It Through The Night (Kris Kristofferson)
8. Me and Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson/Fred Foster)
9. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (Fred Rose)
10. Under The Double Eagle (Traditional arranged by Willie Nelson)
Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)
12. Georgia On My Mind (Hoagy Carmichael/Stuart Gorell)
13. All Of Me (Seymour Simons/Gerald Marks)
14. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael/Mitchell Parish
15. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (Sharon Vaughan)
16. Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys (Ed Bruce/Patsy Bruce)
17. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground (Willie Nelson)
18. On The Road Again (Willie Nelson)
Always On My Mind (John Christopher/Wayne Thompson/Mark James)
20. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (A.P. Carter)
21. Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)
Who'll Buy My Memories (Willie Nelson)
23. Till I Gain Control Again (Rodney Crowell)
24. Without A Song (Vincent Youmans/Billy Rose/Edward Eliscu)
25. Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) (Bobby Emmons/Chips Moman)
26. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
27. Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)
Willie Nelson and Family are currently on tour with upcoming shows scheduled for Friday in Mansfield, Mass.New York SummerStage in Central Park on Sept. 20 and FarmAid on Sept. 24 in Raleigh, N.C.