Tuesday, August 23, 2011
– Jamey Johnson will be the lone country artist on a ZZ Top tribute disc coming this fall.
Grace Potter, Nickelback and Mastodon are among the bands playing on the disc.
"A Tribute From Friends' will be out Oct. 11 on Show Dog-Universal Music with 11 ZZ Top songs, all recorded specifically for the project. Johnson will sing LaGrange, a song about a brothel in Texas.
After Billy F Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard, the original members of ZZ Top, were told about the tribute disc, they said in a statement, "When we were told there was going to be a ZZ Top tribute album a while ago and logically asked, 'Who are we paying tribute to?' Then we found out that a bunch of great artists were paying tribute to us and we were in disbelief. For the past 40 or so years, all we've done is get out there and crank it and try to have a good time while doing so. To a great extent, we've succeeded since we're still having a good time so that would be reward enough for 'the same three guys playing the same three chords.' Now comes "A Tribute From Friends," and we're so delighted that our music resonates with these great musicians whom we so admire."
1 ."Sharp Dressed Man" - The M.O.B. (Mick Fleetwood, Steven Tyler, Jonny Lang & John McVie)
2. "Gimme All Your Lovin'" - Filter
3. "Tush" - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals
4. "Legs" - Nickelback
5. "Cheap Sunglasses" - Wolfmother
6. "Got Me Under Pressure" - Duff McKagan's LOADED
7. "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" - Coheed & Cambria
8. "Just Got Paid" - Mastodon
9. "Rough Boy" - Wyclef Jean
10. "Waitin' for the Bus / Jesus Just Left Chicago" - Daughtry
11. "La Grange" - Jamey Johnson