Monday, November 23, 2015
– An annual Carribean cruise featuring country, Americana, folk and roots music artists ranging from Buddy Miller to Kacey Musgraves will make it to recorded versions of songs heard on the cruise on Buddy Miller & Friends' "Cayamo Sessions at Sea," out Jan. 29, 2016 on New West.
For one week country, Americana, folk and roots music songwriters head for the sear on the Cayamo cruise.
Over the last few years, Miller set up a recording studio on the ship and recorded and played with everyone from veteran songwriters to emerging artists. The result will be a disc of 11 songs.
Rolling Stone Country premiered Miller and Lane's rendition of the Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner classic, "Just Someone I Used To Know."
In 2012, Miller brought along recording gear and set up a studio in the ship's library where he and co-host Jim Lauderdale recorded episodes for their SiriusXM Outlaw Country Buddy & Jim Radio Show. They recorded their debut episode with Lucinda Williams.
In 2014, he brought more gear, an engineer and musicians and set up a temporary recording studio between the lanes of a bowling alley. For two days and nights, a who's who of artists came to record while fans watched on. He did it again on the 2015 cruise.
The album kicks off with back-to-back duets as Miller trades verses with Lee Ann Womack on the Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty country classic, "After The Fire Is Gone," followed with Kacey Musgraves on Buck Owens' "Love's Gonna Live Here." Kris Kristofferson offers his signature song, "Sunday Morning Coming Down" as Miller's baritone guitar rings throughout.
Other recordings include Nikki Lane and Miller on Jack Clement's timeless Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner weeper, "Just Someone I Used To Know," Lucinda Williams' rendition of Gram Parson's "Hickory Wind," Richard Thompson's reimagining of Hank Williams' "Wedding Bells" and Shawn Colvin's take on the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses." Miller joins Brandi Carlile, and The Lone Bellow on John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery."
The track listing is:
1. After The Fire Is Gone - with Lee Ann Womack
2. Love's Gonna Live Here - with Kacey Musgraves
3. Sunday Morning Coming Down - Kris Kristofferson
4. Just Someone I Used To Know - with Nikki Lane
5. Hickory Wind - with Lucinda Williams
6. Wedding Bells - with Richard Thompson
7. If Teardrops Were Pennies - with Elizabeth Cook
8. Wild Horses - with Shawn Colvin
9. Come Early Mornin' - with Jill Andrews
10. Take The Hand Of Jesus - with Doug Seegers
11. Angel From Montgomery - with Brandi Carlile and The Lone Bellow