Friday, May 13, 2016
– Lori McKenna is better known as a songwriter these days, thanks to songs like "Girl Crush." But the Massachusetts native has enjoyed a long solo career, which continues with "The Bird & The Rifle, out July 29 on CN Records via Thirty Tigers.
Produced by Dave Cobb (Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton), "The Bird & The Rifle" features 10 songs, including the lead track, "Wreck You," which premiered yesterday at Rolling Stone.
McKenna will embark on a nationwide headlining tour this summer and fall, her first since 2013 to support her 10th studio disc. It follows 2014's "Numbered Doors."
Recorded live over 10 days at Cobb's studio in Nashville, the album also includes McKenna's version of her own "Humble & Kind," a hit for Tim McGraw this year. McKenna wrote the song alone at home while her kids were at school, imparting her wisdom to them. "I can say it's one of my favorite songs, mostly because I had my kids in my head the whole time I was trying to write it," she said. "My kids know that it's theirs, and it's nice in that way. It worked out pretty good."
Of the recording with Cobb, McKenna said, "This record was made in a way that's very different from anything else I've ever done. It's very much me - this record and the songs. But it's like I took the 10 songs and just got in someone else's car and took a ride down the coast. I completely plugged into the world of Dave Cobb."
Cobb said he "really wanted to wanted to work with Lori because of the truth and honesty she carries with her pen. I love her wit and humor and the fact she writes her own songs purely for the sake of art."
The track list is:
1. Wreck You (Lori McKenna/Felix McTeigue)
2. The Bird & The Rifle (Lori McKenna/Caitlyn Smith/Troy Verges)
3. Giving Up On Your Hometown (Lori McKenna)
4. Halfway Home (Lori McKenna/Barry Dean)
5. Humble & Kind (Lori McKenna)
6. We Were Cool (Lori McKenna)
7. Old Men Young Women (Lori McKenna/Luke Laird/Barry Dean)
8. All These Things (Lori McKenna/Liz Rose)
9. Always Want You (Lori McKenna/Liz Rose/Hillary Lindsey)
10. If Whiskey Were A Woman (Lori McKenna)
Faith Hill, Reba McEntire, Alison Krauss, Hunter Hayes and Keith Urban all have recorded McKenna songs. Her credits include "I Want Crazy," by Hayes, Little Big Town's "Your Side of the Bed" and "Sober." "Girl Crush," the megahit for Little Big Town, netted McKenna the CMA award for "Song of the Year" and her first Grammy Award for "Best Country Song."
Tour dates are:
July 22-Vienna, VA-Jammin Java
July 29-Nashville-City Winery
July 30-Atlanta-City Winery
Aug. 4-New York-City Winery
Aug. 13-Cambridge, MA-The Sinclair
Aug. 19-Brownfield, ME-Stone Mountain Arts Center
Aug. 20-Plymouth, MA-Spire Arts Center
Sept. 9-Northampton, MA-Iron Horse
Sept. 10-Ogunquit, ME-Jonathan's
Sept. 20-25-Nashville, TN-AmericanaFest 2016
Oct. 12-San Antonio, TX-Tobin Center for the Arts
Oct. 13-Austin, TX-One World Theater
Oct. 14-Houston, TX-Dosey Doe
Oct. 15-Dallas, TX-Kessler Theatre
Oct. 21-Los Angeles, CA-Hotel Cafe