Alaina, Midland, Young take ACM honors
Monday, March 26, 2018
– Lauren Alaina, Midland and Brett Young were named New Female Vocalist of the Year, New Vocal Duo or Group of the Year and New Male Vocalist of the Year, respectively today by the Academy of Country Music.
The winners received a surprise phone call from 53rd ACM Awards host Reba McEntire notifying them of the news. All won for the first time. Alaina is nominated for Vocal Event of the Year for "What Ifs" with Kane Brown, and Midland is nominated for Vocal Group of the Year and Single Record of the Year for "Drinkin' Problem."
"I was blown away when I got the call from Reba. Winning an ACM Award is something every country artist dreams about," Young said. "It's an absolute honor to receive this award in a category of incredible artists, and I'm so thankful to the ACM and my fans for making this a reality."
The three will perform on the ACM Awards, to be broadcast live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Sunday, April 15 at 8 p.m. eastern on CBS.
- 09/17/20: ACM ratings drop by a third
- 09/16/20: Rhett, Underwood tie for biggest Academy of Country Music Awards honor
- 09/14/20: Urban, PINK team up at ACMs
- 09/14/20: ACM announces early awards
- 09/12/20: Townes, Green receive Opry surprise: awarding of ACM awards
- 09/09/20: Shelton, Stefani, Underwood, Yearwood named to perform at ACMs
- 09/02/20: Brown, Bryan, Church play ACMs
- 08/26/20: Combs, McGraw, Lambert Rhett play ACMs
Lauren Alaina's "Getting Good" may not measure up to a traditionalist's high standards, but as a pop-country compromise, it's pretty darn good. Whether it's the fiddle running through the proving-I'm-country "In My Veins," or the banjo underpinning "Somebody Else's Problem," Alaina puts just enough country in these six songs to consistently touch twangy pleasure centers.
"Getting Good" is the EP's best song. ...
As if creating a couple of neo-traditional country albums wasn't enough, Midland temporarily reopened North Hollywood's famed Palomino club to record its 10-song live album. This act intentionally links Midland to Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Linda Ronstadt and all the other luminaries that graced the original Palomino stage. Unlike Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and many other contemporary country acts, though, Midland's music wouldn't have sounded all that out of place during the ...
Midland is more magicians than musicians. When the trio came out with their omnipresent 2017 single "Drinkin' Problem," they pulled off their first trick: a brand-new band to radio who sounded like old friends. Their sound and their look (matador jackets, mullets and high-density mustaches) were pure vintage. So why did it all seem progressive? Some of this is the landscape. Athletic-fit tee-shirts and a frat boy oversmile make the standard uniform for most of today's country crop. ...