Tuesday, September 14, 2021
– Jason Isbell and his band, the 400 Unit, will release a special new covers album, "Georgia Blue," on Oct. 15 with all proceeds benefitting three non-profit organizations: Black Voters Matter, Fair Fight and Georgia STAND-UP.
Set for release via Isbell's own Southeastern Records, the album was created to celebrate Georgia's role in the 2020 election. The record consists of new versions of 13 songs with ties to the state, including tracks originally recorded by Georgia natives The Allman Brothers Band, Otis Redding, R.E.M., James Brown, Drivn' N' Cryin', Cat Power, Precious Bryant, The Black Crowes, Indigo Girls, Now It's Overhead, Gladys Knight & The Pips and Vic Chesnutt. The disc also features special collaborations with Julien Baker, Brandi Carlile,
Béla Fleck, Steve Gorman, Peter Levin, Amanda Shires, Brittney Spencer, Chris Thile, Sadler Vaden, Adia Victoria and John Paul White. Isbell's new version of R.E.M.'s "Driver 8," featuring Grammy Award-winner John Paul White, is debuting today.
Isbell said, "'Georgia Blue' is a labor of love. On election day 2020, when I saw that there was a good chance the state of Georgia might go blue, I came up with an idea: to record an album of Georgia-related songs as a thank you to the state and donate the money to a Georgia-based non-profit organization."
"I will admit my motivations were a bit selfish. For years, I've been looking for an excuse to record these songs with my band and some friends. The songs on this album are some of my favorite Georgia-related songs...We have roots and blues and R&B. So, we enlisted some brilliant artists to help us pull off songs by Precious Bryant, James Brown and Gladys Knight. My favorite part of the 'Georgia Blue' recording process was having the opportunity to work with these very special artists, and I thank them: Amanda Shires, Brittney Spencer, Adia Victoria, Brandi Carlile, Julien Baker, Bèla Fleck, Chris Thile, Steve Gorman, Peter Levin and John Paul White. I hope you enjoy listening to these recordings as much as we enjoyed making them. Keep listening to good music and fighting the good fight."
The track list is:
1. "Nightswimming" feat. Béla Fleck and Chris Thile (originally performed by R.E.M.)
2. "Honeysuckle Blue" feat. Sadler Vaden (originally performed by Drivin' N' Cryin')
3. "It's A Man's Man's Man's World" feat. Brittney Spencer (originally performed by
4. "Cross Bones Style" feat. Amanda Shires (originally performed by Cat Power)
5. "The Truth" feat. Adia Victoria (originally performed by Precious Bryant)
6. "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (originally performed by Otis Redding)
7. "Sometimes Salvation" feat. Steve Gorman (originally performed by The Black Crowes)
8. "Kid Fears" feat. Julien Baker and Brandi Carlile (originally performed by Indigo Girls)
9. "Reverse" (originally performed by Now It's Overhead)
10. "Midnight Train To Georgia" feat. Brittney Spencer and John Paul White (originally performed by Gladys Knight & The Pips)
11. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" feat. Peter Levin (originally performed by The Allman Brothers Band)
12. "I'm Through" (originally performed by Vic Chesnutt)
13. "Driver 8" feat. John Paul White (originally performed by R.E.M.)