Fulks looks at bluegrass with "Longhair Bluegrass"
Reminiscing about the newgrass festivals of his youth, Fulks said: "While Mom and Daddy were getting' fried, I was sittin' there with my eyeballs wide." Original Newgrass Revival members Sam Bush (mandolin/harmony vocals) and John Cowan (vocals) join Fulks on the track as well as banjoist Alison Brown who channels John Hartford for good measure.
The lead single is "One Glass Of Whiskey." The song includes Wes Corbett's banjo, Ronnie McCoury's mandolin and with Chris Eldridge's guitar.
Written shortly after his move to Los Angeles in 2019, the song is a "contradiction of the stereotypical view of LA," said Fulks.
While bluegrass music has always been a part of Fulks's musical vision, "Bluegrass Vacation" marks his first full-length bluegrass endeavor. The album features Sierra Hull, Tim O'Brien and Jerry Douglas.
More news for Robbie Fulks
- 02/17/23: Fulks goes down easy with "One Glass of Whiskey"
- 01/25/23: Compass signs Fulks
- 08/10/18: Lewis, Fulks, Jennings out with new discs
- 05/30/18: Fulks, Lewis go "Wild! Wild! Wild!"
- 01/21/16: Fulks returns to roots on "Upland Stories"
- 10/13/15: Fulks, The Mekons team up
- 02/02/15: MPR bleeps Fulks
- 06/04/13: Fulks returns home
CD reviews for Robbie Fulks
©Country Standard Time • Jeffrey B. Remz, editor & publisher • email@example.com
About • Copyright • Newsletter • Our sister publication Standard Time